Friday, March 19, 2010

Bloom Seoul + BYS Black Satin - Ke$ha Inspired Manicure

I have a lovely friend who is living in England and has a formal occasion to attend in a couple of months.  Apparently, royalty (the English type, not the good Prince type) will be there so she is going all out buying a new frock, shoes, bag and accessories.

When it came to the manicure, she decided to seek my advice.  I told her to find a picture of a manicure she liked and I'd see if I had equivalent colours to send her.  And this is what she came up with.


Yep, she wants a manicure like Ke$ha.  Putting aside the obvious question of why her muse is someone who looks like they spend much of their free time in a ditch, I quite like this manicure.

So I gave it a try.  Check out the results after the jump!


I used Bloom's Seoul as the base.  This is two coats with a coat of Seche Vite over the top.  Why Seche?  Seoul dries to a very rough finish.  I figured, if I wanted a smooth black line, I needed a smooth base.  Seche did the job beautifully.

I then used BYS' Black Satin for the tips. To get Ke$ha's, almost gaffer tape, look, I probably should have matte-ified the tips.  But I like the shiny look better.

Another view of the finished product, and I'm starting to likey likey.  I think part of the reason why it looks ok - in my opinion anyway - is that the colours aren't too contrasting.  They look like they belong together in this combination.

So, I'm still not convinced about Ke$ha being a muse for anyone (and if I see any photos of my friend with her lady parts becoming a matter of public record, I'll know the fetish has gone too far), but I think this manicure will look fab at a formal occasion. It almost has a 1920s  / flapper-ish / Illamasqua feel about it. 

What do you guys think?  Do you like the combination?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails